Institute for Complex System Research
UNDERSTANDING COMPLEX SYSTEMS
Digitization, networking, and many other current developments influence the behavior of numerous systems in society and the economy to a considerable degree or even lead to completely new patterns. Traditional analytical methods are increasingly falling short due to systems having complex functional mechanisms such as non-linearity, path dependency, or oversummativity.
At the Institute for Complex System Research, we develop and apply methods that enable an adequate understanding of complex systems’ behavior. Our work is based on findings and developments in the fields of biomechanics, neuroscience, mathematics, psychology, and sociology.
AREAS OF WORK
The institute’s field of activity ranges from basic- to applied-research, concept development and consulting (science sparring). The basis is formed by the cooperation with industry and commerce, as well as contracts or funding programs of public institutions and funding bodies such as state or federal ministries.
Since complex systems are subject to external influences, which must be adequately taken into account, we consider all kinds of research topics where interactions between humans and technology or humans and the environment form a focal point of interest.
- Human-Machine Interaction
- Autonomous driving
- Technology acceptance
- Industry 4.0
- Smart Cities
- Public transport
- Corporate health management
- Subjective theories
- Eye tracking
- Data analytics
- Pattern recognition
- Artificial neural networks
- AI (Artificial intelligence)
- System simulations
- Investigating interactions of biological, mechanical, psychological, and social parameters in health systems
- Developing adequate assessments as well as routines for mathematical description and identification
- Developing theories and simulations of health-related complex systems
- Developing and evaluating intervention measures for complex health-related systems (prevention and rehabilitation measures)
- Configuring health-associated action spaces
In addition to its research activities, the institute offers context-specific training and consulting.