Hochschule Fresenius


Would you like to know what the costs of studying are? In Germany, tuition fees depend on the university in question – particularly whether it is a state or private institution – and the federal state in which it is located.

Hochschule Fresenius is a private university of applied sciences. Our study programs are state-recognized but we do not receive state funding. This means we need to charge tuition fees. Tuition fees vary depending on the study program, study location, and form of study.

When planning your finances, you’ll need to consider other costs as well (particularly if you are not an EU citizen). Here, we provide an overview of costs that may arise and list some of the most common ways to finance your studies.


A blocked account (Sperrkonto) is a special type of bank account. You can only use the money in the blocked account once you have entered Germany – until then, the account will be blocked. After entering Germany, you will receive a bank card from the account provider that will allow you to withdraw a maximum of EUR 934 per month. A list of blocked account providers can be found on the German Federal Foreign Office website.

An easy way to make international payments is FlyWire. More information on the payment portal is provided on the FlyWire info page.

In Germany, a student visa for an international student costs EUR 75. Please bear in mind that German diplomatic missions also require proof of financial resources. This means you need to demonstrate that you have sufficient means to cover your living expenses for the first year of your studies. As of Jan 1st, 2023, students need to provide evidence that they have at least EUR 11,208 at their disposal. This is the estimated cost for one person living in Germany for one year (tuition fees excluded). There are several ways to prove your financial resources. The most common solution is a blocked account. Please check with your German diplomatic mission to find out which proof of financing will be accepted.

Applicants from non-EU countries need to pay a security deposit. This is not an additional fee, but an advance payment. The deposit will be offset against the tuition fees for the final six months of the last semester of the study program. The deposit accounts to EUR 3,000.

Tuition fees vary from program to program. Fees for our English-language programs are around EUR 750-900 per month. You can choose to pay your tuition fees on a monthly basis or per semester (every six months).
For information on tuition fees for a particular study program, please check the webpage for the program in question or contact our study advisors.

Every student in Germany, whether at a public or private university, has to pay a semester contribution (Semesterbeitrag). This is not a tuition fee. The semester contribution is partly for the benefit of the General Students’ Committee (AStA) and partly to cover the cost of your semester ticket (this does not apply to the Munich campus). The semester ticket allows you to use the public transportation system of the region in which you are studying. The semester contribution must be paid at the beginning of each semester.

As previously mentioned, German officials estimate that living in Germany costs around EUR 861 per month. Naturally, the actual cost of living varies from person to person. Rooms in shared apartments are usually cheaper than living alone and we all tend to spend more money on certain things (food, clothing, travel, etc.).

Have a look at our “Accommodation” page for more information on the average price for a room in a shared apartment.

Costs per year

Overview of annual costs per year (approximate values in EUR):

11.208 costs of living
11.400 (bachelor) – 12.240 (master) tuition
500 semester contribution

Financing Options

You can get help with your monthly tuition fees, living expenses, etc. from numerous sources. You could get a student job and there are various funding programs. It is perfectly normal for full-time students to use several forms of funding. Hochschule Fresenius believes it is essential that all students have the opportunity to join the study program of their choice, which is why we would like to share some financing options.

A student job is a way for you to finance your studies independently. However, not all jobs are suitable – for example, you will need to fit your working hours around your study schedule. Have a look at our page on working in Germany for more information about different types of student jobs.

“BAföG” is a public subsidy for students. It is primarily aimed at financially disadvantaged students, which means not all students are eligible. It is tied to certain benefits and requirements. Part of this funding must be repaid after you have completed your studies. As a rule, international students must have lived in Germany for at least five years before applying for BAföG. Visit the website of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research for further information.

The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) has a helpful and wide-ranging database for scholarships: https://www.daad.de/en/study-and-research-in-germany/scholarships/. The database lists both DAAD-funded scholarships and those offered by other organizations. Each scholarship has different requirements.

As a student at Hochschule Fresenius, you can also apply for the “Deutschlandstipendium” (“German Scholarship”) which was created by the German government to support young talents and high-achieving students. You are not required to hold German citizenship to apply for the “Deutschlandstipendium”. For more information take a look at our “Deutschlandstipendium” info page.

If you’re planning a non-curricular stay abroad outside the EU, check out our info page on the PROMOS scholarship. PROMOS supports studies and internships outside the EU.

Another option for financing full-time studies at Hochschule Fresenius is a student loan. Some student loan offers are not valid throughout Germany, so always check what kind of loan you are being offered. Loans can be offered by banks and savings banks. For example, KfW is a development bank that supports students and self-employed people. Again, international students from other EU countries need to have lived in Germany for a certain amount of time in order to be eligible, while students from non-EU countries need to live with a family member with EU citizenship.

Educational funds can also help you to finance your studies. These are awarded by universities or companies. Unlike student loans, there is no fixed interest rate for repayment; instead, you pay a percentage of your subsequent gross income. For example, EU students can apply for educational funds via Brain Capital. Non-EU students can only apply if they have a permanent, unrestricted work and residence permit for an EU country. In both cases, basic knowledge of German is required.

Get in touch