This page answers some of the most frequent questions about Hochschule Fresenius, our study programs, the application process, and more. If your question isn’t answered here, please contact our international team. We look forward to hearing from you!


To apply, simply click on https://www.hs-fresenius.com/application/ and fill out ourapplication form. You will then receive an email instructing you on what to do next.

First, you need to fill out our application form. Depending on the study program, you will then need to upload various documents. Your personal study advisor will get in touch to guide you through the process.

We aim to provide feedback within two days of all relevant documents being uploaded.

There are no deadlines for applications. You are free to apply at any time. However, if you need a student visa to study in Germany, bear in mind that it may take several months for a visa to be issued – we therefore encourage you to apply as early as possible.

No, there are no application fees. However, there is a Registration fee amounting to 595 Euros which you will need to pay when the semester starts.

Applicants from non-EU countries need to pay a security deposit of EUR 3,000. After the admission interview, you will receive the official study contract. Once you submit the signed contract, deposit payment, and a valid English certificate, we will register you to the study program and provide you with the visa documents.

Please note: This is not an additional fee. The deposit will be deducted against the tuition fees during the final semester of the study program, provided you do not withdraw before the third semester (Master’s) or fifth semester (Bachelor’s).

No, the application and registration process is free of charge and non-binding. Only by signing the study contract do you commit to the terms and conditions set out in the contract.

Simply email your personal study advisor, stating that you would like to withdraw your application, and we will take the corresponding steps.

Yes. Simply email your personal study advisor.

It depends on the study program. You will usually need to provide a copy of your certificate for your previous studies or your school-leaving certificate, your transcript of records, proof of language proficiency, and a CV. Once you’ve submitted your application via the online form, we’ll let you know which documents we require to enroll you.

Of course! You can start your application and the admissions department will let you know when they need the rest of your documents.

You can upload your documents in our application portal and we will provide feedback in a timely manner.

After submitting your documents, please allow us some time to check them. We will provide feedback in a timely manner.

Once you submit the signed contract, deposit payment, and a valid English certificate, we will register you for the study program and provide you with the visa documents. Please note that your study place will be reserved for only 4 weeks after you pass the admission interview. If you cannot complete your application process in 4 weeks, you will NOT lose your admission. It will become a first come first case. You will need to contact your study advisor to see whether the study program you are applying for is still available.

*Special advice for Indian students regarding the APS:
Once you receive your letter of acceptance, please complete your application as soon as possible. You do not need to wait for the APS certificate. Once you complete the application process and receive the visa documents, our International Office will inform the APS Team India to prioritize your case if needed.

Digital copies are sufficient for most documents. At some point before matriculation, we will need to see a certified copy of your previously acquired qualification(s). However, you can submit this once you have arrived in Germany.

You can only apply to one study program at one campus. However, you can change your campus or study program before commencing your studies. To do so, simply email your personal study advisor.

Yes, you are very welcome to apply. According to the admission criteria, you can apply to Hochschule Fresenius with 80% completion of your bachelor studies.

For example: If your bachelor’s degree is a 4-year degree, it usually contains in total of 8 semesters. You must submit at least 7-semester transcripts to proceed with your application. (5/6 semester for a 3-year degree.)

Upload a copy of your Bachelor’s degree certificate and your transcript of records and we will be happy to check whether your degree allows you to study at Hochschule Fresenius. You can also check the webpage for your chosen Master’s program. Here you will find detailed admission requirements, including specifications on Bachelor’s degrees.

In case you do not have a direct access to our Bachelor study programs but you are eligible to study in a University in your home country, you might be eligible to take our Entry test which grants you direct access to our Bachelor programs.

To learn more about our new entrance examinations, check out our admission requirements.

No, you don’t need to use uni-assist. You can upload the relevant documents in our application portal.

Take a look at our page on admission requirements for examples of acceptable proof.

This depends on whether you would like to study in English or German. Take a look at our page on admission requirements.

If you decide to join an English-language study program at Hochschule Fresenius, then you don’t need to speak German. All lectures and examinations will be conducted in English and our staff are happy to communicate in English as well. However, we always recommend that you learn some German before coming to Germany to make your everyday life (outside the university) a bit easier.

Your personal study advisor will assist you through the application process as soon as you submit the required document such as the bachelor’s transcript of records. You should be able to arrange a personal meeting or reach him/her via the phone number under the signature.


All Bachelor’s and Master’s programs listed on hs-fresenius.com are English-language study programs. Subject areas range from business and management to chemistry and design. If you are interested in studying in German, please check out our German-language website: www.hs-fresenius.de

Yes. Hochschule Fresenius is a private institution. Our study programs are recognized by the state but we do not receive state funding. This means we need to charge tuition fees.

Tuition fees vary from program to program. Fees for our English-language programs are around EUR 800 – 1250 per month. Please check the webpage for the study program in question or ask our study advisors for the exact tuition fees for your chosen program.

You can pay your tuition fees either monthly or in advance for one semester. There are currently no discounts for upfront payment.

Next to the tuition fees and the semester contribution (Semesterbeitrag), there is a registration fee of EUR 595.

Every student in Germany, whether at a public or private university, has to pay a mandatory semester contribution. This is not a tuition fee. The semester contribution is partly for the benefit of the General Students’ Committee and partly to cover the cost of your semester ticket for public transportation).

The semester ticket allows you to use the public transportation system within Germany (high-speed trains excluded).

Yes, we have a Studienkolleg and offer the corresponding university qualification examination (Feststellungsprüfung). We offer focus courses in economics, technical studies, and medicine. Visit www.studienkolleg-nrw.de for more information.

The maximum number is 42 for Bachelor’s programs and 20 for Master’s programs.

There are currently around 1000 international students throughout our various faculties and campus locations. Our English-language Master’s programs have a particularly high percentage of international students (at least 50%). German-language Bachelor’s programs such as Psychology (B.Sc.) also have quite a lot of international students.

Yes, we would be delighted to welcome you at Hochschule Fresenius as part of an exchange program. Have a look at the page Exchange Opportunities for admission requirements and other information

Enrollment takes place at the beginning of your first semester (March/September). You will receive a separate invitation to the matriculation days via email a couple of weeks before the start of the semester.

Please note that you will need to bring your original bachelor’s certificate to the campus for enrollment when you report to Hochschule Fresenius.


The campus webpages provide information on locations and public transport connections.

Yes, campus tours are available. Please contact your personal study advisor or our colleagues at the campuses. We know it isn’t always possible to visit a campus in person before starting your studies, which is why we are working hard to offer virtual campus tours in the future.

A study program’s curriculum remains the same, regardless of the campus. This gives you the option to switch campuses during your studies.


If you come from a country outside the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), you will usually require a visa to study in Germany. Please check the page “Visa” for more information.

This depends on whether you have received your letter of acceptance from a German university. If you have, then you need to apply for a visa for study purposes/student visa (Visum zu Studienzwecken). If you do not have a letter of acceptance, you will need a visa for study application/prospective student visa.

Please do not enter Germany as a tourist; tourist visas cannot be converted into study visas and you would have to leave Germany temporarily.

Please contact the German embassy or consulate in your home country. Addresses for German diplomatic missions are listed on the website of the Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt).

Visa applications usually require a number of documents. These include:

  • A valid passport
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of financial resources
  • Records of previous study and proof of language skills
  • If applicable: a letter of acceptance from your higher education institution
  • If applying for a visa for study application/prospective student visa: a recognized university entrance qualification

The German embassy or consulate in your home country will be able to provide a detailed list of all required documents.

There is no fixed deadline for visa applications. However, we strongly recommend that you apply well in advance of your planned trip to Germany.

When entering the country, please note that your visa is initially valid for one year. You must enroll at your university within this time to convert your visa into a residence permit, so please note the date of the matriculation days at Hochschule Fresenius. To allow you to look for accommodation, we recommend that you enter Germany slightly before your studies commence.

Student visas and prospective student visas are valid for one year and must afterwards be converted into residence permits.

If you are enrolled on an English-language study program, you do not need to speak German to a specific level. However, the German embassy may ask for proof of your English skills.

At the moment, the application fee for a German student visa is EUR 75. The fee must be paid by bank transfer. Please note that the money order must be in the name of the embassy or consulate in your home country and must be less than two months old. The fee will not be refunded if your visa application is rejected.

Enrolled students are permitted to work alongside their studies, but with certain restrictions. For more information, see “Working in Germany”.

Proof of financial resources demonstrates that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of living in Germany. You must provide evidence of EUR 11,208 per year (EUR 934 per month). There are various ways to do this. The most common solution is a blocked account. Please contact the relevant German diplomatic mission to find out what form of proof will be accepted.

A blocked account is a special type of bank account. You can only use the money in the blocked account once you have entered Germany – until then, the account will be blocked. After entering Germany, you will receive a bank card from the account provider that will allow you to withdraw the money. A list of blocked account providers can be found on the Federal Foreign Office website.

A statement of reasons for rejecting your application will usually be provided. Read the statement and determine whether you have grounds to appeal. If your application is rejected, please contact Hochschule Fresenius.

We hope the information provided on this page answers your questions about German study visas. If you have any further questions, please get in touch. We can also provide relevant documents for your visa application.


Hochschule Fresenius does not own any student accommodation. However, we are always happy to support you in your search for accommodation.

Take a look at the “Accommodation” page for location-specific information and tips on finding accommodation in Germany. We also provide location-specific accommodation guides.

If you intend to study in Idstein, Frankfurt, or Wiesbaden, you can register with the Studierendenwerk Frankfurt.


Hochschule Fresenius does not currently offer any scholarships for international students. However, the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) has a helpful and wide-ranging database: https://www.daad.de/en/study-and-research-in-germany/scholarships/

The “Finances” page provides an overview of the total costs (including living expenses) that you will need to take into account when studying in Germany.

German officials estimate that living in Germany costs around EUR 934 per month.


Yes, we regularly advertise student assistant jobs. However, German language skills are generally required (depending on the department).

Yes, our Career Development department will be happy to assist you in your job search. Our extensive network of companies in the surrounding area is sure to be of use. Please visit “Working in Germany” for more information.

Yes, our Career Development department is always happy to provide support and offers free (optional) courses and workshops that will teach you valuable skills for finding a job after graduation. Feel free to contact the department about career consultations.


After arriving in Germany, accommodation and health insurance should be your top priorities. Once you have completed these tasks, you need to register with your city and apply for a residence permit with your local immigration authority (if applicable). It can also be helpful to open a German bank account.

After moving into your new accommodation, you are required to register with the relevant local authority (Einwohnermeldeamt). You will need to make an appointment and show your passport and the proof of residence certificate from your accommodation provider (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung). You will then receive a certificate of registration, which you will need for other bureaucratic matters.

Many authorities provide templates; in this case, all your accommodation provider has to do is sign the certificate. Have a look at the relevant website for your local authority.

This is always the authority responsible for the place where you live (not the city in which the university is located, if different).

If you are a non-EU citizen, you will usually need to apply for a residence permit. This is essentially an extension of your student visa. Please contact the International Office and we will gladly support you with the application.

The immigration authorities usually require an application form, passport photos, a certificate of enrolment, certificate of registration, proof of financial resources, and proof of health insurance. However, this may differ from place to place and some authorities may require additional documents. Make sure to check with your International Office.

Health insurance is compulsory in Germany and you will need health insurance in order to enroll at the university. Germany has both public and private health insurance providers. Public health insurance is the most common; around 88% of the population is insured with a public health insurance company. The largest public providers (in terms of numbers) are TK, Barmer, and AOK. Take a look at the services they offer and see which one suits you best.

You can usually sign up with a health insurance company via their website.

Statutory health insurance costs EUR 100 per month on average. Prices may vary slightly between companies.

Visit https://www.expatrio.com/insurances for more information on liability insurance.

You don’t need a German bank account to study at Hochschule Fresenius; however, a German bank account may useful in certain circumstances. If you plan to work alongside your studies, you will definitely need one.

A blocked account is different to a regular account as you can only access a certain amount of money per month. Although you do not need a regular German bank account to study at Hochschule Fresenius, we recommend opening one as it will be necessary in certain circumstances, for example, if you want to work.

Yes, many banks offer student bank accounts. Visit https://www.expatrio.com/current-account for more information.

To open a German bank account, you will usually need your certificate of enrolment and certificate of registration. Some banks will allow you to open an account online, while others will require you to visit a branch.

Most people who move to another city or country feel homesick from time to time. Hochschule Fresenius offers various counseling services, including psychological and crisis counseling. Please do not hesitate to contact a counselor if you need some help.

Here are a few tips for fighting homesickness:

  1. Call your friends and family regularly to maintain links with home and get support. But don’t call them too often, or you may become dependent on them.
  2. Share your experiences with your family and friends back home and with the new connections you form in Germany, such as your fellow German and international students. Have the courage to ask people for help if you need it.
  3. It is also important to accept your new circumstances. Moving abroad can be very challenging, so it’s important to connect with new people (students and staff from the faculty) and get to know your environment. Take a day off from studying, eat some food from home, and do whatever you need to relax. Or simply go for a drink with new friends.
  4. Explore your new city by visiting sites of interest and taking part in local events. You will adjust faster if you feel at home and become comfortable with your surroundings.
  5. Some students also find that exercising, eating well, and getting plenty of sleep helps them to cope with their situation and boost their mood.

The best way to get to know people is to attend your lectures and participate in events organized by the university and by the students.

You will need to inform your insurance providers that you are leaving Germany. Please make a note of any contract cancelation deadlines.

Get in touch